New Yorkers can now register online to become an organ donor, which should streamline the organ donation process and hopefully save lives.  On July 8, 2010, Governor Patterson signed the Electronic Signature Act, eliminating the need to download enrollment forms and mail them the old-fashioned way.

There are 9,911 residents in New York awaiting an organ transplant, but less than 13% of all eligible drivers are enrolled in the state organ donor registry.  To become an organ donor, go to www.savelivesnewyork.org, or also try www.nyhealth.gov/donatelife.

The next law relating to organ donation is known as "presumed consent", which presumes all residents of New York give their consent to organ donation unless they specifically object either on the back of their driver's license or through the online registry.  I strongly support the presumed consent law as it will exponentially increase the number of organ donors, many of whom just don't take the time to register for organ donation online.
1 Comments
Only 13% of New York drivers have agreed to donate their organs when they die? Wow! I bet every single one of the other 87% would accept an organ transplant if they needed one to live. Half of the organs transplanted in America go to people who haven't agreed to donate their own organs. As long as we let non-donors jump to the front of the waiting list when they need transplants we'll always have an organ shortage. There is a simple way to put a big dent in the organ shortage -- allocate donated organs first to people who have agreed to donate their own organs. Anyone who wants to donate their organs to others who have agreed to donate theirs can join LifeSharers, a non-profit network of organ donors who agree to offer their organs first to other organ donors when they die. Membership is free at www.lifesharers.org or by calling 1-888-ORGAN88. Giving organs first to organ donors will convince more people to register as organ donors. It will also make the organ allocation system fairer. People who aren't willing to share the gift of life should go to the back of the waiting list as long as there is a shortage of organs.
by Dave Undis July 14, 2010 at 01:36 PM
Post a Comment